Thursday, April 14, 2011

Why Do We Run ? (Quote Style)

I was going through my t shirts this morning when I came upon one of my high school cross country shirts with this written on the back:


"Pain Is Just Weakness Leaving The Body"


Really?  Mannnnn...we were some aggressive 15 year old girls!  


Of course, remember, this was during the late 90s, the glory days of the Backstreet Boys, Britney and two piece prom dresses.  
We had to get all that teenage angst out somehow!  




Lest we forget this glorious day in two-piece fashion that every late 90s parent loved, here is young Kelly Pickler in her prom dress!



But I didn't write this entry to talk about Kelly.  I want to talk about MOTIVATION!  

I personally struggle with motivation.  Not the motivation to run - because I honestly love it 95% of the time.  But I do struggle with the motivation to push myself and to get faster.  I am also scared as all hellcats of running this marathon.  Excited, but scared.  

Soooo wonderful readers...what keeps you motivated  ?  Why do you run?  

I found some running quotes that I liked, and I thought it would be great for anyone needing motivation....or laughs...running style....


From Paula Radcliffe:  
I always loved running... it was something you could do by yourself, and under your own power. You could go in any direction, fast or slow as you wanted, fighting the wind if you felt like it, seeking out new sights just on the strength of your feet and the courage of your lungs.


From the great Kara Goucher 
Do the work. Do the analysis. But feel your run. Feel your race. Feel the joy that is running.


From Michael Johnson
Pressure is nothing more than the shadow of great opportunity. 


On the lighter side:  
"Phidippides died after 26 miles. But he ran 140 miles twice just days before. Overtraining got him, not the marathon." 


Annnnddd....finally the hilarious  "I'm a runner" You Tube Video. 






G'night y'all!  

5 comments:

  1. Who is Kelly Pickler? I love the quote about Phidippides and the I'm A Runner video :D. However I dislike Paula's quote, obviously she has never had the opportunity to go running anywhere that is dangerous, ugly, or has very bad weather. What motivates me? Knowing the the lone treadmill in our gym might breakdown anyday so I have to make each run while it's working worth it :P. I'm such a cheerful commentor.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That video makes me laugh every time!
    I appreciate the quotes, more inspiration yeah!
    :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Running is always there for me. It can make me feel even better after a great day, or pick me up from the drudges of a crappy one. I'm motivated to run because I know that, no matter what, I'll always feel amazing when I'm done.

    Good luck this weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  4. oh my gosh! Love these quotes! $25 on throw-away clothes?? You are crazy! But will look super cute and be warm!

    ReplyDelete
  5. hahahah, I dont know how I just found this, but that video is hilarious!

    ReplyDelete