Sunday, May 8, 2011

Seattle the Bipolar

Good news and bad news:  

Bad News:  This weekend I ran a total of about 6 miles so I don't have much to talk about in that area.  My lack of running is mainly due to the fact that I want to really give my body a break, but I also prefer cuddling to running and I had the opportunity to do so this weekend so....heck yeah!

Good news is that I have cool travel pics from Seattle AND I think this week, I might actually run a track workout.  Imagine....=).  

Here's the deal with Seattle:  I've been going up there on a regular basis for the last 9 months or so bc the BF lives up there.  And until we invent the teleporter or cloning machine (let me know if you have one I can borrow), the regular visiting and plane flights are the best way I know how to keep up a romantic relationship.  

I know what you're thinking about Seattle....rain and 40 degree weather, right?  Well....kinda....

I have found that Seattle is the picture of misery from about November to early March.  Mid 40s, rain, and about 2 hours that are not pitch black.  But here's Seattle's bipolar secret.  From about May to August, it's freaking GLOORRIOUSSSS!    

Seriously.  This weekend, it was so sunny and full of spring flowers, I could have sworn I heard angels singing and kittens purring all weekend. 

Fremont Troll
We started out with brunch at Roxy's in Fremont.  Fremont is a neighborhood close to downtown Seattle that is famous for the Fremont Troll and has plenty of restaurants and bars to hang out in.   Roxy's is a delicious New York type deli that we go to bc it's easy to walk to and has food like this:

I forget what this was actually called on the menu, but essentially, it's a baklava pancake.  Filo, Walnuts, Pistachios,  Honey....really really good.  Anthony ordered them, but of course everything he orders is fair game, so I made short work of them =).  









We then went Seattle wine tasting.  While the ridiculously cold / rainy weather of western Washington isn't exactly conducive to grape growing apparently the weather of Eastern Washington is.  So they set up places just outside Seattle so that we can booze without driving across the state!  
Don't we look classy?  

Girly Girl Wines!
I pretty much let Anthony take the lead, since I really don't know the difference between a box of Franzia and something uhhh....better....

At one of the wineries, there was some club called the "girly girl" to encourage women to come with their girlfriends.  Since I like all things pink and targeted at women, I was super excited about by this and wished I had Seattle girlfriends to join with!  

The next day we went to the Fremont farmers market and saw this...


WHERE DO I SIGN UP??????

I also saw some really cute plant Brontosauruses:


  









So that's the story of the weekend, Morning Glories!  

And here's the Q and A portion where I try to elicit comments and make friends!    

Are any of you in Long Distance Relationships too (or ever were in one)?  
(if so comment with "heeellll yaaaaa!").  

Can you tell the difference between good and bad wine?  (I sure can't)

Also, if you had any amazing workouts or races, LET ME KNOW - I want to hear about it =).  

Happy Monday!  

10 comments:

  1. heeellll yaaaaa! (notice I even got the right number of each letter...that was totally intentional :) My bf and I had a LDR until I moved to be with him after a while. Totally worth it.

    Absolutely can't tell any difference between wine, and I'd actually probably like the cheap kind more since that's what I'm used to!

    I did a 10k Mud Run on Saturday & goodness I'm still sore alllll over. Yikes!

    those pancakes & the thought of an ice cream cruise make my mouth water!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can usually onlt tell the difference in bad wine the NEXT day by a head ache. Or at sushi if I get a glass of chardonnay I usually don't like it...you'd think I'd stop ordering it then, but nope. Lol

    ReplyDelete
  3. You had me at Baklava Pancake. Oh. my.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You summed up Seattle quite nicely :). I'm glad you got lucky with the weather while you were here for a short time. I'm hoping we have an actual Summer this year and have sun for more than 2 days in a row...fingers crossed!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I, and four couples, are traviling to Seattle in June. This is going to be the perfect trip. The boys are attending the National Homebrewers Conference. I and my neighbor are running in the Rock 'n Roll Marathon on Sautrday. Any tips or advise about the area? The Course Elevation has officically scared me. Any advise about concurring the hills?

    I am finding the troll and the pancakes....

    ReplyDelete
  6. I, and four couples, are traviling to Seattle in June. This is going to be the perfect trip. The boys are attending the National Homebrewers Conference. I and my neighbor are running in the Rock 'n Roll Marathon on Sautrday. Any tips or advise about the area? The Course Elevation has officically scared me. Any advise about concurring the hills?

    I am finding the troll and the pancakes....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ohh! Very cool-I'll have to stalk you at the RnR...I'm doing the half! There is a new course this year, that looks a lot less hilly than the Seattle Marathon, which I think you've done...In fact, parts of it are pretty much exactly the same. The I-90 bridge section is a little hilly in spots--I run that regularly. It's about 10 miles from my house to the bridge, across and back. But as far as I can tell, there aren't too many bad spots. Certainly no slow hike up Madison and the hell that was the Arboretum. But take that with a grain of salt in that I run all around this course regularly so I may just be used to it. Or not know any different! Full of tips and/or advice about any logistics when you are in town-let me know if you have any questions! 60secondsofdistancerun@gmail.com

      Delete
  7. MMM I want to go to the ice cream cruise!!!!!

    I was long distance for 4 years in college! Then I got a job where he went to college and he got a full scholarship for grad school where I went to college! But instead of taking the job where he went to school near Chicago, I found a job where he got into grad school. But those 4 years we were long distance were tough! So worth it though!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Having lived in Seattle for five years, little of a flashback, do miss the troll but not the gum wall, that is just plain gross. For any visitor, I was suggest pike's place market and a ferry ride to Bainbridge. The ferry gives you the best views of the city and don't worry, they serve wine and beer inboard.

    ReplyDelete