Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Garmin-topia! I ordered the 405!!!

I've had this dream for over a year now....

I've wanted to be one of the fancy pant runners at the races with the Garmins.  The ones that beeped at each mile marker.  The racers that said things like "we're right on pace" or "I'm pretty sure the course was long".  (haha.)

I've been kind of jealous, but tried to play it off. 

I told myself that it didn't matter.   That I could still get faster without a Garmin.
That all the 80s and 90s superstars never had pace monitors and they trained just fine.  I was ...keeping it simple.  But secretly I'd look at the fancy uploaded workout reports of exact paces on other blogs and feel just a touch of envy.

And now...I'M JOINING THE GARMIN CLUB!!!!!!!!  AND JOINING THE 21ST CENTURY!!!

I'll tell ya what finally broke me.  

A danged 6x1600m with 800m jog workout.  34 laps!!  It was too much.  Too boring.   I've been casually researching Garmin's for months, but that day, I really started looking.

The 305?  Too big for my weak and twice broken wrist.  (seriously...I tried wearing it and my wrist nearly died)

The 610?  Way too fancy and expensive for this girl!

The 405?  

PERFECT!!!! I think....

Honestly, I'm a little scared of all the functions this thing has. Basically I just want something to tell me how fast I'm going and how far I've gone.   And hopefully it'll subtract about 20 seconds from my mile pace. :).

I'm also scared of being able to push myself on roads rather than just on the track / treadmill!  Is it hard?  Will the people walking down the trail look at me like I'm a crazy person for killing myself in a workout on a lazy Sunday morning?

These are the things that keep me up at night.  But...I CAN'T WAIT FOR IT TO COME!!!!  

I'm still pretty sure I won't wear it on easy runs.  I love not knowing how slow I'm going...it's glorious and takes the stress out of easy days.  But doing a workout down a beautiful trail rather than around a track just sounds amazing.

This mornin', I did a treadmill workout...  
And...I PRd (44:25 10k)!
Well...kind of...as the resident world's biggest stickler on racing times, I am sure someone will call me out for claiming a workout treadmill PR (as well you should :) ).  However, I may have sped up the treadmill just a tad around 6 miles to make sure I ran under my last 10k time....

Here was the workout:  
Warmup
2 miles at 10k pace (6:58, 1% incline)...into ...
...5 miles at goal half marathon pace (somewhere around 7:15ish, 1% incline)...
...800m at 5k pace (6:34, 1.5% incline).  
No rest, just a steady run of varying paces.
Cool Down

I listened to a crapload of Tinie Tempah during it.  I think he might make the best music for running ever.

The workout wasn't too bad, and this made me feel a little more confident that all these long and hard workouts are making a difference and that I am improving!

And it made me even more excited for the arrival of my little bundle of Garmin joy!

20 comments:

  1. i LOVE my garmin 405....so incredibly pumped for you! seriously...it has been hard for me to not be obsessed with mine. i also got the green one so i just think it looks pretty :) hope you enjoy it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I want to tell you that I love the 405 (I do!!!) but I'm also ashamed to admit that all I've EVER used it for is judging pace and distance. I know you can do so many cool things with it but it overwhelms me so I don't mess with it. So you figure it out and let me know what to do :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm like Rachael - I haven't figured out all the bells and whistles on my Garmin - but I do love my 405!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've got the 405 too. I'm sure you've heard about locking the bezel if you're going to be sweating a lot or if it's raining (or if it ever gets cold enough for long sleeves and your sleeves hit it). Did you get it with a HR monitor? I think that's really a great way to train -- elites do too! That's actually my fave feature of the garmin, though I also like checking my pace/splits more easily than my old school watch allowed.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh you will love the garmin. Or hate it, or probably both. But ultimietely it will definitely help your training.

    Awesome 10k PR!! Your treadmill workouts are very inspiring.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have the Garmin and I LOVE it. I don't know how to use half the functions but what I do know, I like!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love my Garmin (but I have the bargain basement least fancy 110, so I can't obsess too much in the moment). And I'm like you--I leave it behind on easy runs. I think you'll enjoy it--congrats on the new toy!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love my Garmin so much! I don't know how I went so long without having one. I can't run without it anymore. I recently purchased the foot pod for winter running on the treadmill. I highly recommend getting one because it works great outside also, especially when it takes forever to connect to a satellite.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your running will never be the same again! I love my Garmin so much. I have the 305 and hated how big it was until i got the velcro wrist band and that seemed to do the trick for me. I do have some 405 envy though, they look so pretty, I want the green one.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yay! I was waffling between the 405 and the 110. I think the 110 was a bit cheaper and smaller, so I figured I could leave without the "real time" pace - I would get used to it.

    You're going to be hooked now.

    ReplyDelete
  11. "Live" I mean, not "leave". Live without real time.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Garmin!! I think you'll love it.
    I have the 305, but I have small wrists and it is HUGE. And annoying. But for what it does, I love it.
    Great workout! :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I still need to get a Garmin... I've been drooling over them for a couple months now, lol

    ReplyDelete
  14. I have the Garmin 305 and love it! You will love your garmin!

    ReplyDelete
  15. LOL... I have a 305 and it looks like a VW Bug parked on my wrist.

    Congrats on your new bundle of joy :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Yeeaaaahhhhhh!!! So exciting!!!!!! Can't wait for you to take it for a test drive and do a review (hint hint).

    Wait, is this comment going to disappear. Shoot, I better copy it just in case, lol!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Yes, it worked! I am no longer a spammer. Or a scammer. Ok I'm done.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Welcome to the Garmin Club! I have this watch, and I love it! I really only use it for pace, distance and time, but I know it does so much more.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Love my 405! I had the 110 but the hubs kept "stealing" it so I upgraded. I really like the live pace versus average pace since stoplights are a common occurrence on my runs and it would screw with my head. Definitely lock the bezel once you start it though! Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  20. NICE!!! I'm sooooo JEALOUS!!! I need to be in that beautifully exclusive running club ASAP. Congrats :)

    ReplyDelete