Back in the late 80s, when I was making my way into Elementary School, I got into some new program in my school. I was pumped.
A couple days later, I was playing with some friends while their parents were hanging out. For some reason, I thought that was the perfect moment to let one of the little boys know how awesome I was.
"Oh yeah? Well did you know how awesome I am?" And I proceeded to brag my face off about my fabulous 7 year old academic opportunity.
I still remember the look in one of the parents eyes. It was one of total disappointment and annoyance...because you know...it's really rude to brag.
At least it used to be!!!
Fear not, childhood braggers like me, there is a new way to let people know how awesome you are! It's called humble-bragging.
The good news is that it's easiest to humblebrag on social media. Here are a few examples on how to get started:
1) The "I wasn't really trying": Sometimes, it's important to communicate that even though you weren't giving an activity 100% you still managed do better than everyone else. It's a double win, because you get to both communicate that you could have done even better than you did, AND you get to assert superiority over the peons who competed against you.
Example: "It's so crazy that I won that 10k even though I ran it as a training run?! Can't wait to see what happens when I really try!".
2) The "So Blessed": You don't need to be religious to use this one (In fact, if you are religious, it's sadly not as much of a humble brag). The key is to use the guise of being thankful to brag about almost anything. Be as creative as you want!
Example: "Just got the most AMAZING Christmas present from my boyfriend! He is going to take me to Hawaii! FIRST CLASS TICKETS TOO! Hehe. #soblessed #sexyboyfriend #ihaveaboyfriend #hawaii"
3) The "OMG why so much attention???" This humblebrag is one of my personal favorites. It's perfect for communicating how hot other people think you are. If you are creative in humblebragging, it can also be applicable when trying to show people how smart or popular you are as well.
Example: "I just went out in sweatpants and no makeup and just got hit on by this hilarious guy while standing in line for my latte! Hehe I should go out in sweatpants more often!"
4) "So charitable I can't hold it in!" This is when you want people to know what a great person are! Especially worthwhile if you can provide a backhanded commentary on those who did not participate.
Example: "At the amazing charity celebrity ball I organized! It's crazy how many people are thanking me for what I've done and how awesome it is. Don't know why other people don't do this more! #overwhelmed #loveothers #loveyourself".
5) "I can't believe it": This one works best if you're a celebrity. But fear not, you can express disbelief at any minor achievement and tell everyone about it through a humblebrag!
Example: "It's so crazy to be recognized on the street! I'll never get over it. Sometimes I'll just bump into someone and I want to say sorry but then they want a picture with me! "
These are just some examples on how to get started. How do you like to humblebrag?
Bonus points for anyone who can combine all 5 types of humblebrag!