Monday, December 17, 2012

A small thought on Newtown

This is a bit of a deviation of how I normally blog, but how are you guys doing in the wake of the Newtown tragedy?

It's unimaginable, isn't it? 

I can't imagine what the families of children at Sandy Hook are going through.  When I was driving home from the grocery store last night, the services were being broadcasted on NPR, and I started crying just listening to them.  Of course, I ran into several neighbors on the way home and I'm pretty sure now they are sure I'm crazy after they've seen me walking up with about six grocery bags, all teary eyed.

There have been a ton of comments about gun control, school safety, and mental health awareness.  I don't know enough about these issues beyond knowing that what we're currently doing is probably not the best. 

This blog is relatively small, but I wanted to write this anyways because who knows if someone from the media reads it:

I wish the major media channels would make a pact that the next time this happens (because unfortunately, it probably will) to not broadcast the name or pictures of the shooter.  Sure, I guess people will find out from other sources, but 1) I don't want to see that asshole  2) I am tired of giving these people their 15 minutes of fame and 3) Who knows if this could help prevent others from wanting to do a mass shooting, but maybe it could.

What do you think? (*edited to add based on Kelly's comment - Is it possible to do this but still address the mental health issues or other factors that contributed to the tragedy?)

I hope you are all (especially those of you with children) are doing ok.  

11 comments:

  1. I respectfully disagree that his face should not be posted. We have gone far too long ignoring mental illness. The shooter was a very sick person. Until more focus is put on treating mental illness, the possibilities of these tragedies continue to grow. I'm not saying all massacres are attributable to mental illness, but several in recent years have been.

    This is a good read: http://gawker.com/5968818/i-am-adam-lanzas-mother

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A good point, Kelly. I edited my post to include your thoughts.

      Delete
    2. I think we can address the mental illness issue without broadcasting name and photos. Saying the shooter suffered with X, Y, Z should be enough.

      Delete
  2. I agree. I wish they would refrain from putting up their picture. As someone who went to Virginia Tech and had to deal with the aftermath of that, I can tell you that I wish wholeheartedly that I had never seen the pictures or the videos of the shooter.

    I really hope that there are real discussions about gun control and mental health. These talks should have happened a long time ago.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Both of my brothers were Tech grads. I'm sorry you had to go through that as well.

      Delete
  3. I agree that mental health problems need more attention in this country, but I also agree that the media plays a huge role in why these crazy people choose schools as targets--they know they will get headlines. This is also a very good read: http://www.freerangekids.com/why-the-connecticut-shooting-feels-so-close/

    As a parent, I am very grateful for teachers like the ones who gave their lives to protect the little kids in their care. Not only am I hugging my kids more, I'm appreciating their teachers on a whole new level.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm sure all the things you mentioned would help. I saw a story on Saturday night where a potential school shooting was prevented the same day as Sandy Hook : http://www.globalpost.com/dispatch/news/regions/americas/united-states/121215/school-shooting-plan-Bartlesville-oklahoma-stoppe

    We need more people like this. Speak up if something or someone gives you a bad feeling. Our senses are rarely wrong.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really agree with what the first commenter Kelly said. My brother suffered from Psycho Affective disorder and I remember one incident in particular that my Dad called me from inside a vehicle hiding because the voices in my brothers head were telling him he needed to kill my dead. Mental health is real and this situation is absolutely terrible and sad. The parents should not have had guns in the home if they new there child was dealing with a mental illness. Guns being legal and mental health awareness are the real issues in my opinion.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I don't really see the correlation between showing his face and discussing mental illness. They do not have to be mutually exclusive.

    I agree with you - his face and name are irrelevant. His condition, if there was one, should be discussed, but I don't see the need to broadcast anything else about him.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'll just say this... my heart breaks for all of us. And yet there is also a great joy in seeing people come together. But why must it take a horrific event to bring forth the care and concern? To open up the unabashed outpouring of love and kindness? Let's stop living in our insular bubbles and reach out to one another daily...lovingly and unselfishly.

    ReplyDelete