Sunday, February 26, 2012

Lil' Kim's Impact on Bingo (What I've been doing lately)


I've been running lately.  A lot.  More than I ever have and harder than I ever have.  I'm wavering between thinking this is terrible and being excited about the potential to break PRs like it ain't no thang.  That would be cool, although unlikely.   You can follow my training here.  The best thing that's happened running-wise is that I went on a 17 mile run that wasn't slow and actually felt ok.   That's never happened before. Here's what else I've doing:

1) Went to Lake Tahoe.  Had hardest slow three mile run ever.  

My college friends, Anthony, and some other people decided to get a house over President's weekend in South Lake Tahoe.  I'd never been before, and it's just a tiny bit beautiful.  Even though I'd run two hard workouts back to back the day before and boozed up a storm that night, I wanted to run.  I probably have an exercise addiction problem and I couldn't deal with not trying to run in such a pretty place.
yes, I am using that word ironically.  
I went out and ran a few minutes.  And then I ran a couple more minutes...and then a couple more...until I had slowed to what I imagine was a 14 minute / mile pace.   I couldn't believe how hard it was.  It was as though I dipped my feet in tar and became 8 months pregnant all at once.  And then I got lost coming back to the house which is when I took this picture.

Let's just say I have a new-found respect for those of you running and living above sea level.  And those of you who drink a lot of vodka.


2) The best cover of Time Magazine I've ever seen:

I never thought Time Magazine had it in them to compare a tiny rapper from the 90s to a new leader of one of the most wacko governments in the world, but they went there.  With hilarious results.

A couple more of these zingers, and I'm a subscriber.


3) I spent my Saturday Night playing Bingo with Heather, Sarah, and Pam.

I expected the year to be about 2050 before I was spending my weekend nights at Bingo.  But the night defied all of my expectations and was shockingly fun.  Pam invited us to come to a Bingo Fundraiser at her daughter's high school.   And people there don't play around.  The gym was packed!  And the people were serious players!   Look at their intense stares!


Sadly, none of us won. But don't worry, Pam, Heather, and Sarah were still able to muster a smile and we were able to stop ourselves from grabbing the winning bingo sheet from an old lady.

I wasn't able to keep it together though...

We'll be back for you, Bingo, and next time with a vengeance....


16 comments:

  1. not surprised u got lost :p, someday will u tell your readers about the time u ran down I10?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. who knew it's illegal to run on interstates! I took the nearest exit... ;-)

      Delete
  2. Dang girl your training is looking awesome! I wish I was more motivated to run faster intervals. Glad you had a good time in Tahoe and so fun that you supported Pam's daughter. Pam is the sweetest. Too bad you didn't win. :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pam is indeed the best! I wish I had your drive to run the mileage you do, so we're even ;-)

      Delete
  3. Bingo so fun! I wish I could find a Bingo night!

    ReplyDelete
  4. so happy that you ladies were able to come out!! :)

    Our family hasn't made it out to Tahoe yet but, I hear it's so beautiful!! One day!! You're doing great with your marathon training Margot! Keep it up!! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, you guys should go to Tahoe :).
      Thanks for the encouragement! Your training is always in inspiration.

      Delete
  5. Are you still chasing after the sub 20: 5k?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sigh...yes. I'm tempted to run another one in the middle of this cycle, but I'm unsure if that's wise. I do think one day I will get it, but unfortunately not yet!

      Delete
  6. Looks like you had an awesome weekend!! :) Beautiful running...who cares if the fitness was lost...the scenery was great! :)

    LOVED that Time cover...I cracked up! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah. I don't think I lost any fitness but I certainly felt like I did!
      That cover is way clever, eh ;-).

      Delete
  7. My husband and I are learning to play bridge. It keeps us feeling young, because everyone we play with is at least 20 years older than we are.....

    I'm glad your running is going so well. Exciting! I can't wait to hear about this marathon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. haha I don't even know what Bridge is really. I remember my local newspaper would post a column about it.

      Thanks on the running! I think I'm starting to burn myself out though - might need to take a step back.

      Delete